Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Love Story






That's my Grandma and Grandpa...Lee and Mary Ellen Smith.   I never met my Grandpa...he died of a heart attack when he was 41 years old.  I know from stories I have heard, that he and I would have gotten along well.  My Grandma died when I was 9 years old.  She was the kind of grandma you hope your children are lucky enough to have.  How I wish she was still here on earth.  I wish she could meet my husband and son.  She only knew me as a little girl, never as a wife and a mother.  Do you ever try and think who you are most like in your family?  I do, and I think I am most like both of my grandmothers.


My Grandma liked to scrapbook....way back before there was even such a thing.    Boy would she be suprised today!  She kept little momentos and pictures and compiled them into a book.  About ten years ago I found out that the scrapbook my aunt kept in her attic had some water damage.  I am working on redoing that scrapbook now and came across a few things that I thought were fitting for Valentine's Day. 


This was an anniversary card.





A football game they attended together.








This one made me a little teary....







Lee and Mary Ellen had two daughters...Marilee (my mom) and Bonnie.





 
Their life was short, but their love lives on everyday.

Lee and Mary Ellen have 5 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.





Happy Valentine's Day!
~Kerri



13 comments:

Kris said...

How beautiful that was! I love that she saved those special things. I do that. Always have.
Happy Valentine's Day to you!!!
XO Kris

Diane said...

What a beautiful story and perfect for Valentine's Day. And such a treasure that you have all those wonderful items.

Thank you for sharing this today. :)

Jen said...

Precious! I love that you chose to share their story!

Jill said...

So sweet and what a great find! I love memories like these. My children never got to meet their great grandparents and there was nothing left behind but a few pictures. This is a major reason i blog to leave it all for my children, grandchildren etc.

Blessings,
Jill

Megan said...

A great love story...I love those old clippings and keepsakes. I miss my grandmother every single day and wish the same things. Happy Valentines Day Kerri!

Holly said...

I love this!! And I think that Brady looks a lot like your grandpa!

Genn said...

What a beautiful love story to share on Valentine's Day Kerri!!!!
The sight of those dried roses made me teary. How neat.

sloan said...

omg, now I'm teary-eyed too ... such amazing mementos, kerri - how blessed you are to have so many treasures from your family tree :)
happy valentine's day!!

Gabe said...

how fun to redo that scrapbook, Kerri!

Love looking at old photos and the story that goes along with it is priceless!

Nicolle said...

Very sweet post, and Brady looks just like your Grandmother! Has anyone else ever told you that? wow!

Jenny said...

I just had a chance to read this. I love it. I have to force myself to not buy all those abandoned scrapbooks I find at antique malls/shows, I just love them and I want to give them a good home. I love that even way back then, people chose to keep mementos of their lives.

KM said...

This is AMAZING. I LOVE this!! Brady looks like your Granddaddy. What precious treasures.

Dan said...

Kerri, this post brought tears to my eyes. Two of the greatest people I have ever known were your grandpa and grandma.

 
site design by designer blogs