Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It's My Blog and I Can Brag If I Want...



Last week, on my birthday, I got a call from Brady's school saying that he was chosen by his teacher for Student of the Month for February.  I cried.  I knew how much it would mean to him.  Especially this year.  You see, we never have to worry about Brady academically or doing his best....no problems there.  However, Brady often comes home from school complaining about so and so being picked on or being made fun of.  One day he stood up for a boy who was told he couldn't sit at the lunch table with everyone else.  Brady now sits next to this student everyday at lunch so he has someone to sit with.  Because of this, Brady often becomes an easy target too.  (Kids say, "why are you friends with so and so?")  I have encouraged Brady to let his teacher know what is going on...but Brady refused until one day this student was pushed out of line and he fell back and hit the wall.  Brady finally went to his teacher.  (Kids seem to do most of their bullying during lunch and recess when there is less supervision.)

Brady came home and said his teacher told him.....

"It takes a strong person to stand up for yourself....and an even stronger one to stand up for someone else."








Last night we went to the school for the awards program.
That's Brady and Mrs. Ray, the principal.








Brady was so proud to wear his medal to school today!





It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
~J.K. Rowling


I'm so proud of you Brady!
  Congratulations on your Student of the Month award!

I love you,
Mom


27 comments:

Megan said...

Brady! What an honor! And what a kid! You should be so proud mama!

{and wow, how great does that pizza look??!!}

Kris said...

You are raising one fine young man there Mama!!! Congratulations to Brady. And congratulations to Mom and Dad!!!!

Barb said...

OH My. That choked me up and brought tears to my eyes! What a boy he is, and what great parents he must have. Way to go Brady! AND Mom and Dad!

Susan said...

That is awesome! And I'm now crying!

Nicolle said...

Brady continually amazes me. You and Eric are doing things right! Congrats to Brady on such an honor. He is going places, and doing great things in his life. He is a great example to all of us to stand up for those who get made fun of, and those with no friends. I am sure he has made this other kid feel very special. Brady is so young, but he already gets "it"!!

Love him!

Protector of Vintage said...

Congratulations to Brady. What a wonderful little boy.

Gabe said...

Oh, Kerri. . .my eyes are watering!

What a sweet boy you have raised!

jen said...

Those traits can't be taught, they're inborn. What a lucky mom you are!

Jenny said...

Oh my, now I am crying too. What a sweet heart. I swear he is such a gem, what a wonderful boy. You go ahead and brag all you want Kerri, he wouldn't be the way he is without you. I wish I could give you both a hug. Such a nice thing to read today. Yay Brady!

Bridget said...

What a wonderful nomination letter! Congratulations to Brady!!!

Karina said...

Oh my goodness. Tears here. What a wonderful young man you are raising. Doing the right thing is never easy when it means going against your peers. That takes true strength and confidence. You ave much to be proud of. congrats to Brady.

Anonymous said...

so many tears thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

Congratulations on raising a really wonderful child!!! It takes a great parent to make a great child...well done!!

Jen said...

Awesome! Way to go!!!!
I am bragging on my blog today too. Totally the thing to do!

yaya said...

You have every right to be proud! Congrats Brady and keep being kind to others. Congrats to Mom and Dad for instilling integrity and caring in you!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Hey Ker, what a sweet post..it made me tear up!! My sis is a teacher and is having problems with kids bullying this year. So nice of Brady to be kind to all of the children~a pat on the back for you!! I love hearing about Brady's tennis and he can come to Ohio anytime and play with my son (13) or my youngest daughter (9). Or heck he can play with the whole high school team!! My oldest daughter had her photo taken tonite as State Champs which will be put in the high school. She didn't play at the state meet, but she was there supporting the team!! Love catching up on your posts :) hugs, cathy

Holly said...

At work... crying.

I just love Brady!

Genn said...

What an honor!!
For you and your husband and for Brady!
What a fine young man you are raising. You should be so proud. That is awesome.

The Keyes Family said...

totally tearing up now too. What a fantastic kid and way to go mom for bragging on him. He needs to know he did the right thing and a good job! what good parents, your hardwork is showing thru.

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Kerri,
You are doing something so right. It makes me proud of Brady, and also of you and hubby! It immediately made me think of this post from a mom to her son starting grade three. I think you may really appreciate it.
http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/18/for-adam/
Tell Brady he is AWESOME!
Dana

Erin Deegan said...

oh-my-goodness. what a sweet kid. my daughter is in third grade and has similar problems in her class. i really love that he asked to save the book ending for the absent girl. it's the little things in life :)

Stef said...

What a great kid! What great parents! And that is why we should become like children...because sometimes they are very wise.
I am so proud of him too. (you know, he being my future son-in-law and all.)

CB said...

I'm a day late to the party but I could not contain myself.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kerri he is truly a remarkable boy. You and your husband are definately parenting the right way and it shows.

I also think you are a wonderful family as a whole :-D

Jill said...

Congratulations to Brady! I even got teary eyed reading this, you must be so very proud!

blessings,
Jill

KM said...

We are all proud of you Brady! Way to go!! ;)

krisalt said...

That was a wonderful post - you should be very proud of the young man you are raising.

Kim said...

Brag away, my friend! This is such an honor! I'm all teared up. Brady has such a good, kind heart. You are definitely doing something so, so right! Congrats, Brady...and Congrats, Mom and Dad!!!

 
site design by designer blogs