Monday, September 6, 2010

I've Got Mail!






I love to get mail...and going to the mailbox is one of my favorite times of the day.  My two favorite guys never get the mail (unlesss I ask!)...because they know how much I love going to the mailbox.  I also enjoy sending mail as much as I enjoy receiving it.  I have to admit though, I don't get as much "fun" mail as I used to.  Bills and advertisements seem to be all that's in the box lately.  Eighteen years ago after I moved away from home, letters from family and friends were much more frequent (to say the least) than they are now.  But I'm just as guilty as not putting little notes in the mail as often anymore.  My mom wrote the best letters.  She would send me 10-15 page letters on legal pad size paper!   She would write about the weather in Ohio, who she ran into at the store and update me on my two younger sisters.   The prettiest stationary and cards came from my best friend Bonnie.  Getting a note from her would make my day.  But, with email, cell phones, free long distance and the increase in postage...the lost art of sending mail is kind of going down the drain.  Getting an email is nice...but in no way (for me) compares to getting a handwritten note in the mail. 
 



The other day when I went to the mailbox.....there was a package from Susan ....one of my blog friends!  Susan and I had decided to swap books that we had just finished reading.   I knew the book was on its way...and I was checking the mailbox everyday with a little extra pep in my step.  Susan is just so kind.  Here's the book she sent me:




She also sent a note in this adorable card she made:

My picture doesn't really do this card justice.
It's so cute...you know I will be trying to copy it!
Susan told me she is in a card club with friends who get
together and learn knew techniques and swap cards once a month.
Why oh why can't I be in a card club?!



and

saving

the

BEST

for

last..



Susan sent me this:
I knew right away what it was!  It's a scrabble tile necklace!
I have been wanting to make one of these for months and months.
I LOVE it!  I'm even more excited to make one now!


Thank you so much Susan... 
you are much too kind!
I feel like I got the better end of the bargain!
Brady and I made a bookmark to put in Susan's book...
not quite as exciting as a necklace! 



I think I'm going to start making a little extra effort
in putting a few more notes in the mail for family
 and friends.  It only takes a few minutes to let someone
know you are thinking of them...and who doesn't enjoy getting something
other than bills in the mail?!





 

11 comments:

Jess said...

oh my goodness....how sweet!!! I LOVE the necklace!!! I have been wanting a print of that saying for my kitchen....the necklace is so cute!!! Easy to make you think? tutorial for us less creative, pretty please!!!

Jen said...

Ooooo...Can I be next to share that book?
Susan is so sweet, I agree!
I do not like the mailbox...because of the bills and junk and such.

Susan R said...

You are so welcome. I'm thrilled you liked the treats. I actually meant to send a package of homemade cards, I had tied them up with a ribbon.....who knows where those went to.
Anyway........glad that you liked the treats.

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

That is sooooo sweet! I cannot remember the last time I received something fun in the mail!

jen said...

I put off reading that book for a while because everyone said how good it was.
When I finally read it I was not disappointed. You're in for a treat. It's great.

{cindy} said...

Happy Mail is the best!!
I remember having lots of pen-pals as a young girl. Picking out pretty stationary and stickers was so much fun. I still love stationary and stickers, so I guess it had an impact.:)
Happy Mail as an adult is even better. These days Pottery Barn catalogs are my only happy mail!! But like I tell my girls, you have to write a letter to get a letter...so I gues I better get writin'!
Enjoy the day and your new book

sloan said...

Kerri, you are soooo right about the loss of the written word ... when I was a junior in college I lived in France - before cellphones, internet, email, etc. It was good old fashioned air mail and that was IT (costly land-line phone calls were a once/month threat!) ... how I wish I had saved all the long letters from home, just like the ones you're describing from your mom!! I miss that ... good for you for wanting to out more notes in the mail, I'm with you!!

sloan said...

hahahahahaha ... it says threat instead of TREAT, oops! typing too fast ...

Jenny said...

I adore mail so much, the real kind, not the electronic kind. I too try to send cards and notes to people and I thoroughly enjoy it. No one is allowed to get the mail at my house except me! The card is lovely and I love the necklace, what a sweet thing to do! Enjoy! Let us know how the book was...

CB said...

What a fun package to get in the mail. You will love the book (as everyone has already said!). It is definately a great read.
The saying on the necklace is one of my favorite's - that is too cute!
I also miss the art of letter writing, snail mail, and that sort of thing. E-mail loses something in the translation.

Stephanie said...

I love this post and I think I need to sit down and make a list of people I need to send letters too. You are so right, happy mail is so infrequent! Thanks for the push and reminder. I love your stuff, that was so sweet!

 
site design by designer blogs